15th January 2015 saw the official opening of the UCL Cruciform Hub. Located in the lower ground floor of the grade II listed Cruciform building, the Hub provides a new teaching and learning space for UCL students and staff, as well as NHS staff working at University College London Hospital. It includes a library, silent and quiet study areas, groups work spaces, computer clusters, seminar rooms and 2 exhibition walls.
Guests gathered to see the Hub jointly opened by Professor Jane Dacre (President of the Royal College of Physicians) and Dr Deborah Gill (Interim Director, UCL Medical School). The UCL Medical School Choir provided musical entertainment. In the exhibition walls there were medical objects from UCL Public and Cultural Engagement (PACE) and from UCL Special Collections. Two items drew particular attention and praise, one was an original copy of Vesalius’s De Humani Corporis Fabrica, 2nd edition (1555), the first book on scientific anatomy (kindly displayed by UCL Special Collections) ; the second was the spectacular Cruciform building cake! (kindly organised by Cruciform Site Librarian Kate Cheney).
The Cruciform Hub project was a collaboration between UCL Library Services, UCL Estates and other Professional Services divisions, in partnership with UCL Medical School.
Julia Garthwaite, UCL Library Services
Photos by kind permission of Kirsten Holst