Excellence in Medical Education Awards awarded at Graduation
As an organisation committed to teaching and learning, the UCL Medical School wishes to identify and reward those making an outstanding commitment to students and their education. The awards for the 2011/12 academic year mark the sixth year of recognising the commitment and achievement of UCL Medical School staff. This years winners were presented their awards at the MBBS graduation ceremony in June 2012.
- Dr Parthipan Pillai (Awarded the Saad al-Damluji Award for his exceptional commitment to excellence in Clinical Teaching)
- Dr John Firth (Awarded the David Jordan Award for excellence in enhancing science in Medical Education)
- Miss Chloe Marshall (Year 3 Administrator, UCL Medical School)
- Dr Amma Kyei-Mensah (Consultant in Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Women and Children’s Division, Whittington Hospital NHS Trust)
- Dr Mary Howman (Clinical Teaching Fellow, Department of Primary Care and Population Health, UCL Medical School).
Drs Kazuya Iwata, Gil Myers, Sarah Bennett, Melissa Gardner, Rosemary Belcher and Moloy Dey, Clinical Teaching Fellows, Academic Centre for Medical Education, UCL Medical School
Mrs Nicola Mathastein and Mr Michael Klingenberg, Clinical Skills Tutors, UCL Medical School, Sister Act Team, Year 3 Student Selected Component
For more information about the Excellence in Medical Education Awards, and details of the application process for 2012-13 please visit the website: www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/quality/teaching-awards/emea
Provost’s Teaching Awards honour two UCLMS teachers
The Provost’s Teaching Awards, now in their sixth year, were set up to celebrate the best of pedagogic prowess at UCL and to reward staff who are making outstanding contributions to the learning experience and success of our students. Each year Deans, in consultation with heads of departments, are invited to nominate staff for these awards. The 2012 awards ceremony was held on July 10th where Provost Malcolm Grant presented 11 awards including the following to UCLMS staff:
Staff at the Beginning of their Career:
- Dr Jayne Kavanagh – UCL Academic Centre for Medical Education.
Experienced Academic Staff:
- Dr William Coppola – Department of Primary Care and Population Health
For more information about the awards, please visit the website: www.ucl.ac.uk/teaching-learning/awards-funding/provosts-teaching-awards
UCLMS Lecturer awarded Medical Education Travelling Fellowship at ASME
Dr Kath Woolf has been awarded a Medical Education Travelling Fellowship. The fellowship is for Kath to visit Professor Robert Hanneman at the University of California at Riverside with Dr Rachel Isba, a Clinical Lecturer at Lancaster University.
Prof Hanneman is an expert in social network analysis and his expertise will influence Kath’s educational research programme looking at how students’ social relationships influence their learning and assessment performance.
Congratulations to Dr Petra Boynton who has received a promotion to Senior Lecturer in the UCL Medical School. Aside from her teaching commitments at UCL Medical School, Petra is actively engaged in research: evaluating the content and provision of sex and relationship advice to those who are trying to conceive, are pregnant or are parents. Petra is also dedicated to science communication and public engagement: her blog was longlisted for the Orwell Prize for political writing for blogging about sex, science and media issues. She also writes an advice column for The Telegraph, advising on sex and relationships, and keeps an active Twitter profile.
New year, new curriculum, new academic leads
The new MBBS 2012 curriculum now has new academic leadership positions. Following a call for expressions of interest acrossthe whole of SLMS, and an interview process, the following people have been offered, and accepted the roles:
- Year 1 Dr Paul Dilworth
- Year 2 Prof Lionel Ginsberg
- Year 3 Dr Brenda Cross
- Year 4 Dr Alan Salama (acting, during Prof Jean McEwan’s period as interim Dean)
- Year 5 Dr Peter Raven
- Year 6 Dr Aroon Lal
- Vertical modules Dr Will Coppola
- Oversight of Y1-3 Prof Mike Gilbey
- Oversight of Y4-6 Dr Deborah Gill
MBBS 2012 curriculum: www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/staff-students/mbbs-new-curriculum.
UCLMS Structure: www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/staff-students/committees